RE: CURL_EXTERN also used by VMS.

From: Patrick Monnerat <Patrick.Monnerat_at_datasphere.ch>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 19:50:03 +0100

John E. Malmberg wrote:
> This is just an informational notice that the CURL_EXTERN tags are
used by the VMS builds of Curl.

> Currently the procedure for converting them to VMS use is manual, but
in the future I am hoping that it can be automated so we do not have to
keep manually checking for new routines.

For the OS400, it is done exactly this way, and is automated for a long
time.
If it can help you, you can find the shell script that extracts the
symbol names to export here:
https://github.com/bagder/curl/blob/master/packages/OS400/make-lib.sh#L8
8

> One restriction on VMS is that the order of the names in the needs to
stay the same from version to version. All new routines need to be
added to the end, and old routines must be maintained.

Same for OS400 too. However I've versioned the entry table signature
from the SONAME (automatically): see
https://github.com/bagder/curl/blob/master/packages/OS400/initscript.sh#
L32 and
https://github.com/bagder/curl/blob/master/packages/OS400/make-lib.sh#L1
08.

For the sake of our platforms, it would be a very bad idea to reorder
CURL_EXTERN definitions without altering the SONAME :-/

Good luck :-)
Patrick