WPAD proxy (was Re: Need Help Please)

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 23:30:27 +0100

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 02:58:52PM +0000, Jones, Rick wrote:
> I have packaged cURL for my enterprise developers to use when needed but am
> having some issues.
>
> The installation part is easy, but I need to modify my package due to a
> configuration issue. Please let me explain.
>
> We are in a very locked down environment; users and devs do not have access
> rights to their machines; so everything must be packaged for them and installed
> via SCCM.
>
> The problem is our proxy, we are using WPAD to get to an external proxy which
> lets people out. What settings do I need to modify in order to use cURL? I
> have tried setting http_proxy and https_proxy but I’m still unable to connect.

WPAD generally provides a small Javascript program that's executed by the
browser to determine which sites to send to a proxy and which proxy to use.
curl doesn't contain a Javascript interpreter, so it can't use such a proxy
configuration directly. It's (theoretically) possible to integrate a standalone
Javascript interpreter with libcurl to handle this kind of proxy configuration,
but it wouldn't be trivial. See the mailing list archives for previous
questions about this.

Alternately, for certain simple cases you could manually interpret the proxy
configuration, extract the correct proxy server for the site(s) you're
interested in, and provide that proxy server in http_proxy.

>>> Dan