Re: release and daily-snapshot tarballs

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 14:06:05 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014, dev wrote:

> However I am getting the version to fetch from the git RELEASE notes and
> that is the real issue.

Oh. Yeah I'm not really prepared to give any guarantees that they will be in
synch during development but they should always be in synch in release
archives.

The tarball creation script actually picks its version number from
include/curl/curlver.h so you can rely on that:

My perl script does this:

open(VER, "<include/curl/curlver.h");
while(<VER>) {
     if(/LIBCURL_VERSION_MAJOR (\d+)/) {
         $maj = $1;
     }
     elsif(/LIBCURL_VERSION_MINOR (\d+)/) {
         $min = $1;
     }
     elsif(/LIBCURL_VERSION_PATCH (\d+)/) {
         $pat = $1;
         last;
     }
}

> Really, to be doing a better build with the sources I should just use a git
> pull from the repo but that may not be the exact same as the tarball in the
> snapshots. Maybe. Low probability but possible.

I don't think it matters. Most automatic builds just pulls off git, some do it
several times per day. What we push to git is meant to work at all times so
there's nothing magic with the nightly tarballs. They are just snapshots taken
at that particular moment.