Re: Minimal versions of dependencies

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 09:28:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014, Guenter wrote:

> granted that my autobuild uses an ancient gnutls version 2.8.1, but shouldnt
> it then be rejected by configure if its not supported anymore? (f.e. we
> could test for the gnutls/abstract.h header)

docs/INTERNALS lists our lowest requirements for GnuTLS to be 1.2 which feels
unnecessarily liberal, but in the case of 2.8.1 I think it breaks the build
simply because of a mistake and nobody has tried to build with an older GnuTLS
in a while.

The question is then of course if we should A) bump the GnuTLS requirement to
something more modern and just check for that in configure, or if it makes
sense to B) keep supporting the old version and fix the code instead?

GnuTLS 2.8.0 was released in May 2009 so it is *terribly* old. 2.10.0 came in
June 2010.