Re: Failures while building on cygwin

From: Michael Osipov <1983-01-06_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 22:58:54 +0200

Am 2014-09-18 um 14:09 schrieb Daniel Stenberg:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2014, Michael Osipov wrote:
>
>>> So line endings again.
>>
>> This is perl in my opinion. See the provided link.
>
> Well, there's about 100 million years since I last used cygwin but back
> then it could be setup to either use unix newlines or windows (CRLF)
> newlines. And then if you'd mix in using other external (from cygwin's
> point of view) tools you would get something that wouldn't follow
> cygwin's view of life
>
>> I am using msysgit for Windows and there are my Git settings:
>
> Like here, you're not using cygwin's git so cygwin's configured way of
> handling newlines may not be the same as msysgit's.
>
>> Out of curiousity, I did a dos2unix on all files and it does work
>> except for tool_hugehelp.c and install. Critical files are already
>> flagged in .gitattributes to avoid such problems. The problem is which
>> is problematic now.
>
> What do you suggest we do?

I was finally able to make some progress on the issue. I have installed
git with cygwin, so CR problems anymore. Though the following is still open:

1. docs/INSTALL [1] says that a mere configure is sufficient.
    Unfortunately it is not. You need to pass --host=mingw32 otherwise
    it won't execute ar correctly and some other stuff will fail.
    Should I provide a PR?
2. make install still throws sed errors like:
    sed: -e expression #1, char 3: unknown command: `.'
    I was able to tackle at least one to
docs/libcurl/opts/Makefile.in:700: | sed -n '/\.3[a-z]*$$/p'; \
    Unfortunately, I have no idea what is wrong with that expression.
    If someone has a clue, please speak up.

Michael

[1] https://github.com/bagder/curl/blob/master/docs/INSTALL#L238