Re: Automatic use of http_proxy environment variable

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 15:48:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014, andrei_at_korostelev.net wrote:

> Normally if the app is configured not to use proxy, it simply calls
> curl_easy_perform(); which is clean and logical.

Yes, but that also means "please mr libcurl, use your default proxy
environment variable proxy detection magic".

> With your suggestion we shall first do this prelude:
>
> curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_PROXYAUTH, CURLPROXY_HTTP);
> curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_PROXYAUTH, CURLAUTH_ANY);
> curl_easy_setopt(cutl, CURLOPT_PROXY, "");
>
> and then call
> curl_easy_perform(curl);
>
> Right?

There's no point in setting PROXYAUTH (twice) if you're not using a proxy. But
yes, if you explicitly want to disable proxies that's how to do it. That'll
force libcurl to not use any proxy environment variable.

> Technically it will probably achieve a right result (proxy will be
> disabled) but it looks unnecessary over-complicated.
> Don't you think so?

You think using (a new option like) CURLOPT_PROXYLOGICDISABLED is less
complicated than setting CURLOPT_PROXY to "" ? How so?

Another option is set CURLOPT_NOPROXY to "*".