windows: libidn or USE_WIN32_IDN? what effect does libiconv have on curl?

From: Ray Satiro <raysatiro_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 13:41:56 -0700

I'm building libcurl in Windows in Visual Studio and I'm going to enable IDN support. I notice there is USE_WIN32_IDN which I don't have defined. Also there is libidn which I may use instead since the normalize dll (native win32 idn stuff) is not on xp (although it's redistributable). A few questions..
The libidn Visual Studio project builds without libiconv. Is there any effect on libcurl not having libiconv in Windows? Does curl need iconv (via libidn or directly) on windows for anything?

For those of you in Windows are you using libidn or native IDN support? Is one better than the other?
Can I get IRI support in libcurl using either? Is anyone using IRIs? Maybe I've seen them and just never noticed.

Thanks