Re: Experimental feature: cURL over TURN

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 14:20:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014, Guilherme Versiani wrote:

> For those who may be interested, I have just added an experimental support
> to pass protocol data over TURN (like a proxy). The code is located here:
> https://github.com/guibv/curl-turn (forked from main code).

Ah, nice!

Feel free to post a patch (series) here when you feel up to it and I'll offer
you by comments/review.

> Currently tested using coturn (https://code.google.com/p/coturn/).
>
> Usage:
> $ curl --turn [IP:port] --proxy-user [user:pass] [destination]

Do you think it makes sense to also support some sort of proxy protocol
prefix? Like for example setting the proxy to "turn://IP:port" in the same
vein we can do SOCKS and HTTP etc already. It makes it way simpler for
applications that want to pass on or set "a proxy".

Is there perhaps any other existing clients/browsers that support TURN that we
can learn or adapt config ways from?

> - It doesn't support short term passwords (only no-auth and long-term-auth
> at this time);

For someone not really versed in the details of the protocol, what's the
actual protocol differences between short term and long term auth?

> - Currently it doesn't support FTP in PASV mode, but should work fine with
> any other protocol over TURN since one doesn't use a secondary socket;

If you make it like the socks proxy approach, can't you just add a function
call in ftp.c:proxy_magic() then to make PASV work?