Re: libcurl 7.37.1 and OpenSSL 1.0.1h: crashes on initialization on certain Windows 7 systems

From: Ray Satiro <raysatiro_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 16:22:09 -0400

On 8/14/2014 2:34 PM, Ulrich Telle wrote:
> Recently I upgraded to libcurl 7.37.1 and OpenSSL 1.0.1h. Now my
> application doesn't start anymore, but terminates immediately with a
> process exit code of 1 (0x1) without showing any error message.
> However, this happens only on certain Windows 7 system, namely Windows
> 7 Enterprise 32-Bit and 64-Bit. The same application properly starts
> on Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit and 64-Bit.
>
> The application exits during executing curl_global_init, that is,
> function curl_global_init does not return. I suspect that the problem
> is related to OpenSSL, although I'm not sure about that.

What are you passing to curl_global_init()? Please review:
http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/curl_global_init.html

If you can provide a small sample that demonstrates the problem I will
try to reproduce. Please include the commands you used to build the
sample. Where did you get libcurl and OpenSSL? Did you build them
yourself and if so how? The more information you give us the easier it
will be to figure out what's happening.

If by chance you're linking to libcurl .a files in Visual Studio don't
do that. You may experience weird problems like your app spontaneously
closes or crashes.