Re: encoding of file:// URL on Windows

From: Pierre Joye <pierre.php_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 19:00:48 +0200

Hi,

On Aug 7, 2014 4:17 PM, <clinton_at_elemtech.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems using non-ascii characters with libcurl. I am
getting errors that files cannot be found.

> From lib/file.c, it appears to be using the ANSI API open() for file
URLs, which does not work with all possible file names.
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2010-05/0121.html
> But it doesn't appear to be fixed.
>
> What encoding does libcurl expect from the caller when setting the
CURLOPT_URL option? UTF-8 or the Windows ANSI code page?
> The answer to that would help make a correct patch.

As far as I remember no specific encoding are expected as *nix just take
everything they get.

I would suggest to implement it to expect UTF-8 on Windows and use the *W
APIs, converting UTF-8 to wchar before.

Cheers,
Pierre