Re: Call for libcurl cmake users/maintainers!

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:13:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014, Sergei Nikulov wrote:

>> Merged. Been this broken since January!
>
> It happens. But I'm not always using latest SW...

I'm not blaming you! But I think it is valuable input that hardly anyone has
built curl/libcurl with cmake since January (I'm not sure which platforms that
would survive this bug and we can't rule out that some might have simply
worked around it locally without telling us).

> To avoid such things we can add cmake under travis-ci check as well... Or
> put curl under CDash (http://my.cdash.org/)

I'd like to bring back the discussion with a clear motivation why we need
cmake support at all.

For Windows we already have numerous ways (too many actually already) to
build, and for *nix the configure/autotool setup is much more complete and
tested.

What I can see from this 5-year test period, is that the cmake support
misleads some amount of users into using an inferior and badly maintained
build system that causes them weird and funny bugs. Without any particular
upside.