the mail problem (was Re: Announce for release 7.37.1?)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 23:44:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014, Dan Fandrich wrote:

> I don't know if it's the same problem, but about 15 autobuild e-mails sent
> yesterday never showed up on the autobuilds page, nor after I resent them
> all later.

I believe this was part of the same problem. I believe we're now back to
normal operations again.

Longer explanation:

This missing mail situation was because we had an extremely CPU high load on
the server running the mailing lists the last few days, and sendmail and
others are configured to not deliver mail if the load is over a certain
threshold.

The high CPU load was because one of our web sites (not curl related at all
but a different open source project) was completely hammered by a Chinese
originated web spider called '360Spider' which harvested the site at a rate of
several million accesses within a few days at a high rate, including many
links that waste a lot of CPU to get delivered. Hence the load. (Having such
links is a problem in itself but let's ignore that for now as we intend to get
that sorted.) 360spider doesn't acknowledge the robots.txt file.

This spider "attack" came to our site from 581 different IP addresses during
the last three days, and yesterday I started blocking their 4 main IP ranges
and we're now rejecting their User-agent on sight. This has helped our server
to get back to a state of calm and subsequently the missing mails have now
been delivered.