Re: [Survey] What people want us to do next

From: Alessandro Ghedini <alessandro_at_ghedini.me>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 11:37:50 +0200

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 10:11:16AM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
>
> (let me just remind readers that these are thing people asked for, we don't
> necessarily think they are good ideas to do...)

"Otherwise the suggestions are unfiltered."... I guess I missed that part.

> >>colored output
> >
> >We can take HTTPie [0] as model here (ignoring the evident bias towards
> >JSON-based HTTP APIs). The coloring of the HTTP headers is pretty neat
> >[1], but if I understand things correctly it would need to be implemented
> >directly in libcurl (I haven't looked into how to do it, but I could if
> >there's interest).
>
> Why would it have to be done in libcurl? I really can't see how coloring of
> text output is any business of libcurl's.

The "-i" and "-v" options (the ones outputting headers and such) are
implementented by simply setting CURLOPT_HEADER and CURLOPT_VERBOSE, without any
additional support from curl. So either curl re-parses the libcurl output to add
colors, or libcurl outputs already colored data. I may have misunderstood things
though.

Cheers