Re: SMTP: CURLOPT_MAIL_FROM vs CURLOPT_USERNAME

From: Tor Arntsen <kspt.tor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 10:24:45 +0200

On 11 June 2014 10:10, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2014, Chandran, Naveen wrote:
>>[..]since CURLOPT_MAIL_FROM takes the
>> sender's email id, should it not be a valid email id AND also correspond to
>> the same email address whose username and password are being passed to the
>

> Not at all. The user name and password are used to "login" to the server.
> That user name is completely independent from the FROM address and sure in
> some cases they may be similar but in many other cases they are totally
> different. It depends on the server setup.

Worths repeating - in my setup they are different and have to be.
There are multiple accounts on the same server for the same email
address because of splitting/filtering/mobile use etc. So email
address cannot match user name (for more than one of them, at least,
but there's no need to match at all).

-Tor