Re: survey reminder: curl and libcurl 2014

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 00:29:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

>> Look around on one of the curl mailing lists and count the number of female
>> names and compare to the number of male names. I've done it. A few years
>> ago at least:
>> http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2011/10/31/three-out-of-one-hundred/
>
> Define "female" name. Many people make the mistaken assumption I'm female
> based on my name, even though the origin of the name is male. Names like
> "Chris" can be short for "Christopher" or "Christina". I've known any
> number of male or female's named "Kelly", etc.

Why should I define that? We can discuss details like this or we can see the
greater picture. I don't see the point in arguing if we're 3% female, 6% or
even 12%. We can't figure that out and the exact number is not important. We
can only estimate.

A minority is a subset of people within a larger group or context, lesser than
the majority. Female participants are in a minority in the curl community. I
really really don't think anyone can argue against that with a straight face.

I want our project to be open to everyone and anyone who wants to contribute
and help out, failing that shuts people out - people who otherwise could be
helping us to improve the project and the code. If we fail to accept some
certain type of people into the project, we miss out. So the question is: do
we? I want to believe that we are welcoming and open to everyone independently
of their origins, gender, religion, etc, but I want to know if I am fooling
myself.

I don't think I need to motivate that simple question anymore now.

Can we go back to work on the code now?