Re: excessive bounces?

From: Tom Bishop, Wenlin Institute <tangmu_at_wenlin.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 08:06:22 -0400

On Jun 5, 2014, at 5:50 AM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jun 2014, Tor Arntsen wrote:
>
>> It's not the mailing list, the problem is with users with yahoo, and
>> lately, aol addresses.
>
> Yeps, I got noticed about perhaps 50 email addresses getting automatically removed yesterday due to bounces (mailman does this on its own). yahoo (various toplevel domains), hotmail and aol hosted them.

The problem involves Mailman and DMARC. We had the problem on another mailing list, and solved it by updating Mailman to version 2.1.17 and changing some administrative settings (from_is_list: "Mung From"; first_strip_reply_to: "Yes"; reply_goes_to_list: "This list"). I'm not advocating this solution, though it did work for us. The issue is controversial. More information is here:

        http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/DMARC

Best wishes,

Tom

文林 Wenlin Institute, Inc. Software for Learning Chinese
E-mail: wenlin@wenlin.com Web: http://www.wenlin.com
Telephone: 1-877-4-WENLIN (1-877-493-6546)