RE: Building libcurl with Borland BCC5.5 compiler

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 18:18:43 +0100

On Fri, 9 May 2014, Jon Torrey wrote:

> After playing around and experimenting with the Makefile, I was able to
> successfully build. Just to make sure, I saved Makefile.b32, deleted
> the curl-master, and did a make again. I did this just to make sure my
> process still works even after a fresh extract.

I'm glad you got it building but can I clarify a few things so we can fix this in the repo please?

> I pastebin'd the changes so you either of you can take a look
> : http://pastebin.com/FuGGL6iS ( expires in 2 weeks )

1) Is the additional include to include\curl necessary? Anything that looks in that directory should already have the curl directory prefixed in the #include statement.

> Line 56 does need to be edited back to it's default state which is
> without -HTTP_ONLY and -DCURL_STATICLIB defines

Sure.

> I do believe some changes were not needed since after creating the
> .\BCC_obj\vtls directory, no files are placed inside of it during the
> make process.

Yep. Unless we try and force the output for the vtls files into that directory it isn't needed.

> I will leave this up to the real developers ( you guys ) to decide on
> what to do with this.

2) How did you fix the /f when trying to link ./file.obj?

By having the wrong form of slash in there Borland's tlib is interpreting those file names as options so ./file becomes /f and vtls/openssl became /o (as we previously saw)

I see from makefile.Watcom that there is an additional line for ./ based files which I thought you might need but wasn't sure so didn't include it in my last suggested fix - it would mean that line 97 becomes:

OBJS1 = ./$(CSOURCES:.c=.obj)
OBJS2 = $(OBJS1:vtls/=)
OBJS3 = $(OBJS2: = ./)
NOHYPHEN = $(OBJS3:-=_)

However I would be keen to know how you resolved that problem as I can't see it in the makefile you placed on pastebin.

Kind Regards

Steve