RE: Issue with IMAP UID FETCH

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 21:14:48 +0100

On Thu, 08 May 2014, Dionysios Kalofonos wrote:

> We could return only the response of a FETCH, ie. whatever is
> within the outer brackets. Equivalently, we could return only
> the results of the remaining IMAP commands for example

We could... but aren't we in danger there craeating our own API that is
closely matched to RFC 3501 but not what anyone reading the RFC would
expect?

> SEARCH 1:
>
> * 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
>
> instead of
>
> * SEARCH 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

> But then again we have SELECT/EXAMINE which return
> * 12 EXISTS
> * 0 RECENT
> * OK [UIDVALIDITY 1354605835] UIDs valid
> * OK [UIDNEXT 2248] Predicted next UID
> * FLAGS (\Answered \Deleted \Draft \Flagged \Seen $Forwarded $Junk
$NotJunk)
> * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ()] No permanent flags permitted
> * OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 6010850161961900152]
>
> What do we do with that? :)

Could we just publish what the server gives us?

Effectively we then give the programmer the RFC's API and it's up to them to
parse all of the text?

Kind Regards

Steve