Re: Visual Studio Project Files

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 17:31:12 +0200

On 05.04.2014 19:34, Steve Holme wrote:
> I have been saying on here for a long, long time that I would share my Visual Studio project files (Though I did email a few copies out last year) and finally after some rework of these files, settings and re-organisation of the directory structure I have pushed an introductory commit of said files - commit 11025613b9.
>
> Currently we provide very limited Visual Studio IDE support for building curl and libcurl via the files in the VS directory – currently only VC6 (aka Visual Studio 6 / 98) and VC8 (aka Visual Studio 2005) so even this support is quite old ☹
>
> Furthermore these files only support 32-bit Release and Debug builds without any support for 64-bit builds (possible in VC8 and above) or any of the third-party libraries we integrated with (such as OpenSSL, SSPI andSChannel, libSSH2, etc…).
> Things that I would like to do next:
>
> * Add VC6, VC7, VC7.1, VC9, VC10, VC11 and VC12 variants
> * Update the release process to generate the project files from the templates
> * Integrate with other third-party libraries such as zlib and WinIDN
> * Remove the older VS folder base files
> * Get the test suite integrated and compiling under Visual Studio
>
> Any ideas, suggestions or comment are as always much appreciated ;-)
hmmm, do you really think thats all needed?
here my thoughts:
- only very few folks really work on developing the library or curl tool
itself, so why should they prefer project files over the nmake files?
Which benefit would it have?
- AFAIK it was all the time possible to just import our distributed
nmake files and create project files from them ...
- AFAIK most of the VS Express versions cant deal with project files, so
the benefit (if any) would only apply to those using the commercial
versions of the M$ compilers & tools ...
- its much work to maintain all those separate project files (even if
you volunteer to do it - there might be times when you're swamped with
other work); I believe it would be better to use a similar approach as
what we did up to now with the nmake files: use one template and create
the different versions from the template with some sed rules ...

Gün.