Re: HTTP 2.0 and GFE/2.0

From: Chris Young <chris.young_at_unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk>
Date: 28 Mar 2014 22:13:09 +0100

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 22:38:25 +0100 (CET), Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> Google does not believe in doing plain-text http2 so I think this is on
> purpose. They will simply require https to speak http2.
>
> That's basically the same situation like with SPDY.

I notice with Firefox etc, Google's homepage just redirects to the
secure version, so it's odd we get a 400 here rather than a 302
redirect.

Twitter - which fully supports HTTP2 as far as I can tell from the
Curl logging - redirects to the secure version of their site rather
than throwing up a 400.

> If it isn't just an oversight or just-not-implemented-yet on their part,
> there's nothing libcurl can do. The plain-text way to do http2 is to use
> Upgrade: exactly like that but it of course only works if the server then
> responds with an actual upgraded protocol...

Hmm, OK. The more I think about this the more it seems like a server
problem. If it isn't talking plain text HTTP2, then it ought to be
ignoring the Upgrade: header anyway?

I found another plain text http2 problem after I posted that. On the
nghttp2 test server libcurl gets stuck requesting data. Again, the
easy test is with the curl command line tool:
curl -v --http2 http://106.186.112.116/

The output is attached.

Thanks
Chris

('plain' encoding is not supported, stored as-is)