RE: libcurl linking problem

From: Huw Gallon <huw_at_maxnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:44:26 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Huw Gallon [mailto:huw_at_maxnet.co.uk]
Sent: 11 March 2014 09:45
To: libcurl development
Subject: RE: libcurl linking problem

-----Original Message-----
From: Huw Gallon [mailto:huw_at_maxnet.co.uk]
Sent: 10 March 2014 18:01
To: libcurl development

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Stenberg [mailto:daniel_at_haxx.se]
Sent: 10 March 2014 17:28
To: libcurl development

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014, Huw Gallon wrote:

> I am attempting to build a fairly simple application in gcc C (on
> Redhat Linux 6.3) which will use libcurl API functions to send email
> confirmation of various events and actions to other users on the same
> network. I am having difficulty building the application. I can
> compile the source into an object file but not link this into an
> application. The output from the build script is below (apologies for
> length.) The salient points are the unreferenced functions
> des_set_odd_parity, des_set_key and des_ecb_encrypt, and the
unreferenced type (presumably) __ctype_b.

__ctype_b is usually provided by the standard libc linker files.
Something odd is happening when you don't get that provided.

> DES_set_odd_parity, DES_set_key and DES_ecb_encrypt are all in
> libcrypto.so, but the case does not match those required by libcurl.

See lib/curl_html_core.c, the lower case versions are for OpenSSL 0.9.7
or later. Otherwise uppercase. It would hint that you have a mixed setup
where you compile with one version and link with another. Or something
like that.

> Calls may be recorded for quality, training and security purposes.

Good to know.

Thanks for that information. I have found an implementation of __ctype_b
in a file named xlocale.h, but it doesn't get included in any build. I
may try overwriting my curl libraries etc with an earlier version (I had
some difficulty in installing all the packages required for the build
involving libcurl so there may well be a mixture of releases of ssl,
ssh, crypto etc. to deal with.) The file curl_html_core.c does not seem
to have been loaded.
In case of dire need, I could always write my own lowercase functions,
which would simply invoke the uppercase functions. Yes, a horrible fudge
I know, but if it gets me communicating ...
Huw Gallon

As an aside, the installation of OpenSSL I have installed is
openssl-1.0.0-20.el6_2.5.i686.rpm. Because this is a machine with other
developers and testers using it, I cannot readily upgrade or replace
this package, although if anyone knows off the top of their head which
package I need, this would be helpful.
Huw Gallon

Further to my last, I tried to install
libcurl-devel-7.35.0-3.0.cf.rhel6.i686.rpm. This is now demanding yet
more dependent packages, notably libssh2-devel. I cannot find any
version of this package for Redhat (any release). Has anyone any idea
where this might be found, or what alternative platform version of this
package might serve?
Huw Gallon

DISCLAIMER

This electronic message (and any attachments) is from Maximum Network
Solutions and is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain information that is confidential, potentially legally
privileged, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you
are not the intended recipient(s) you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files
associated with this message, is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying
to the message or by telephone on the number above, and delete it and any
copies of it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be
monitored.

We have taken steps to ensure that this message (and any attachments or
hyperlinks contained within it) are free from computer viruses and the
like. However, in accordance with good computing practice the recipient
is responsible for ensuring that it is actually virus free before opening
it.

Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author, and do
not necessarily represent those of the company.

Recording of Telephone Calls

Calls may be recorded for quality, training and security purposes.