Re: left for http2

From: Fabian Frank <fabian.frank.de_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 01:12:44 -0800

On Jan 30, 2014, at 2:50 PM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> 4 - write NPN / ALPN logic for gnutls and NSS

I created a patch that adds ALPN support for OpenSSL, which means we can now support NPN and ALPN for OpenSSL. I hoped this will enable us to test with Microsoft’s http2-katana [1], but ironically there test server is down. Anyways, having ALPN will allow us to do more interop tests sooner or later and it’s what will be the required mechanism. For now I could only test this with a local nghttpd and https://106.186.112.116/, where it works well.

If ALPN is working on the client then curl -v will contain the following line:
* ALPN, offering HTTP-draft-09/2.0, http/1.0
and if the server is ALPN-enabled and picked a protocol from the client’s list:
* ALPN, server accepted to use HTTP-draft-09/2.0

Please note that HTTP-draft-09/2.0 with HTTP upper case and http/1.1 with http lower case really seems to be correct. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-applayerprotoneg-04#section-6 specifically requests lowercase http for 1.1 and http://tools.ietf.org/search/draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-09#section-3.1 is using upper case HTTP for 2.0.

Regards,
Fabian

[1]: https://github.com/MSOpenTech/http2-katana