HTTP2 and SPDY

From: Fabian Frank <fabian.frank.de_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 15:44:08 -0800

Hi Guys,

I’m interested in HTTP2 as well as SPDY and think support for them in curl would be great. Actually so great, that I’d like to help on this effort. I’ve seen the topic popping up here once in a while, but unfortunately I can’t reply to one of the older threads, as I don’t have these mails in my mail client. I played with the existing code and got it to work on my Linux host and I can use cURL to get data from the nghttp2 public test server using the http2 protocol. I’ve seen the same minor bugs (binary “garbage” at beginning of output”) that other people have, but it’s encouraging to see curl talking http2 already at all. It would be great if someone working on http2 (Daniel?) could share the current status, planned design - if there is one - and most importantly, where help and contribution is needed.

I generally agree with the notion that if resources are limited, http2 work should be prioritized, because it will obsolete SPDY. However, if we have http2 support before that is the case and the point that nghttp2 and spdylay have similar APIs and thus adding SPDY support after integrating with nghttp2 is easy, I’d consider doing that, but first things first.

Regards,
Fabian