Re: [RELEASE] curl and libcurl 7.34.0 is out!

From: Paul Howarth <paul_at_city-fan.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 11:55:51 +0000

On 17/12/13 07:57, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> I'm happy to announce that yet another curl and libcurl release has
> found its way out in the open. 7.34.0 contains a security fix, 10
> notable changes, at least 41 bug fixes and no less than 24 new
> contributors are credited.
>
> Download from: http://curl.haxx.se/download.html
>
> Curl and libcurl 7.34.0
>
> Public curl releases: 136
> Command line options: 161
> curl_easy_setopt() options: 206
> Public functions in libcurl: 58
> Known libcurl bindings: 42
> Contributors: 1104
>
> This release includes the following security fix:
> o gtls: respect *VERIFYHOST independently of *VERIFYPEER [26]
>
> This release includes the following changes:
>
> o SSL: protocol version can be specified more precisely [1]
> o imap/pop3/smtp: Added graceful cancellation of SASL authentication
> o Add "Happy Eyeballs" for IPv4/IPv6 dual connect attempts
> o base64: Added validation of base64 input strings when decoding [8]
> o curl_easy_setopt: Added the ability to set the login options separately
> o smtp: Added support for additional SMTP commands
> o curl_easy_getinfo: Added CURLINFO_TLS_SESSION for accessing TLS
> internals
> o nss: allow to use TLS > 1.0 if built against recent NSS [18]

This update makes the configure script check for the SSL_VersionRangeSet
function for NSS detection. The function was added in NSS 3.14 and hence
attempting to build with older versions of NSS now fails (at least if
you're looking for a build with SSL support). Was this intentional?

I try to backport current releases of curl to old versions of Fedora,
and Fedora releases 10 to 15 have NSS-based SSL using NSS 3.12.x and
3.13.x, which don't work with curl 7.34.0 now.

If there's no intention of supporting older versions of NSS, I could
switch these builds to OpenSSL instead but I'd rather use the same
backend as was used by the curl supplied in those Fedora releases really.

Paul.