Re: CURLINFO_GNUTLS_SESSION (was Re: Patch: Support CURLINFO_CERTINFO with GnuTLS)

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 08:10:31 +0100

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 12:46:20AM +0100, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> > If we went down this route, then I can see a reason for having the backend
> > as a member variable but I would still recommend that we have a lightweight
> > CURLINFO_SSL_BACKEND option so an application can easily find out what the
> > backend is without having to use CURLINFO_TLS_SESSION.
>
> Why? It's not like calling CURLINFO_TLS_SESSION is expensive -- getting
> the enum + void * back vs. just getting an enum back hardly justifies
> another
> option, especially given that the operation is virtually free either way.

It's possible that the user would request this option before an SSL context has
been created, in which case the only reasonable thing to do would be to return
an error code from the call. But in that case, the user can't expect that the
information will be returned. I think there should be some way to get the
backend type at any time, even before creating an easy handle, so that
applications that require or expect a certain backend can error out very
early. But, that's something that should probably be added to
curl_version_info() instead.

>>> Dan