Re: Question about some platform updates to Windows

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 23:12:45 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013, Myria wrote:

> I saw the #ifdef maze in config-win32.h and had no intention of breaking
> anything that was supported there. However, I was worried somewhat because
> it looked like there were multiple ways to target Windows - CMake looked
> like it used some other mechanism than config-win32.h, for example.

There's many different ways to build on windows, and there are many different
compilers available on windows that you can build with.

> What's the difference between the lib\Makefile.vc10 and
> winbuild\Makefile.vc10?

They're two different implementations of the same thing: a build system for
MSVC10 makefiles. One of them can probably go.

> What would you recommend regarding the gmtime_r versus gmtime_s issue? Under
> Visual Studio, gmtime_s can be used to implement gmtime_r, but not, say,
> MinGW unless you're on Windows Vista or later due to the msvcrt.dll version.
> Should I just implement gmtime_r in Windows myself, using Win32's
> FileTimeToSystemTime and a bit of arithmetic? This would work on all
> compilers.

I'm not the proper person to give advice on how to polish things for windows.

I'd rather reverse the question and ask what you suggest we do? A proper
gmtime_r() should indeed improve libcurl...