Linking to libcurl suppresses output in emacs shell on windows

From: K. Frank <kfrank29.c_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 22:27:49 -0400

Hello List!

I have a simple c++ program that I build with g++ 4.8.1 from
mingw-w64 on 64-bit windows. This program writes to cout.

When I run it in an emacs (version 23.1.1) shell (i.e., M-x shell)
the output shows up. If I then non-trivially link the program
with libcurl (non-trivial in the sense that the program is modified
to actually use libcurl -- simply adding "-lcurldll' to the link
command for a program that doesn't actually reference anything
in libcurl doesn't have this effect), the output from the program
no longer shows up in the emacs shell.

This is with libcurl 64-bit 7.31.0, built (I believe) with mingw-w64.

If I run the program from a windows command prompt, the
output shows up normally.

Does anyone know what might be going on, and how I might fix
it? This is not a show-stopper for me, but it is vaguely annoying,
and also somewhat puzzling.

Thanks for any advice.

K. Frank