RE: Problem with AUTH against Telia SMTP server

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 13:44:23 +0100

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013, Gokhan Sengun wrote:

> > < 535 invalid user ID or password
> > * Authentication failed: 535
>
> I forgot this one, lucky that moved it under "look at later" folder.

I've now added some DIGEST-MD5 tests to the automated test suite, re-read RFC-2831 to refresh and expand my knowledge in this area and would like to fix this issue (if possible):

In addition to Gokhan's questions I would be interested to see a log (or wireshark trace) of what kmail sent to the server.

Reading the RFC raised another question from my point of view:

As the server that curl is connecting to in this instance is "mailout.telia.com" which differs from the realm "smtp-out21.han.skanova.net" should we include the serv-name in the digest-uri component? The RFC states that it should be included if the server is running as a replicated service where hostnames and MX records differ. Possible values are probably a) "mailout.telia.com" or possibly b) "telia.com".

If I have understood the RFC correctly then the digest-uri should be "smtp/smtp-out21.han.skanova.net/mailout.telia.com" for example rather than "smtp/smtp-out21.han.skanova.net".

Kind Regards

Steve