Re: Clarifications on using libcurl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 19:45:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, nithesh salian wrote:

> I am planning to use libcurl for providing SFTP/FTP/FTPS/WebDAV support in
> my app on Mac and Win 64 bit environment.

> 1. Is there any documentation or link related on the various components
> (which would be modern and not deprecated) to make this happen?

That would be docs/INSTALL I guess. If you're not used to building stuff from
source I guess it can be a bit of a learning curve as we kind of assume that.

> 2. On Mac, Apple will be deprecating openssl. How is it going to affect
> these protocols?

First, you can still build and use OpenSSL if you want, but you can also build
libcurl to use Mac OS X's native SSL library with configure's --with-darwinssl
option.

> 3. Are there any other ways making curl work without openssl?

libcurl supports 10(!) different SSL backends, and I think about 7 or 8 of
them can be made to work on Mac OS X.

> 4. Can libcurl be used with Common Crypto (which is recommened for replacing
> openssl)on Mac?

I suspect that's the same thing we refer to as darwinssl, but I'm not really
the expert on the topic.