A question regarding DNS resolution when host part is an IP address

From: Mehmet Bozkurt <mehmet.bozkurt_at_xware.se>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 19:21:41 +0200

Hello,

I'm using libcurl version 7.21.1 built for WIN32 (a bit dated I know)
with IPv6 support enabled.

Reading the docs I got the impression that DNS lookups weren't performed
when using IP:s instead of host names in connection URL:s.

I've noticed that when using libcurl to connect to an FTP server there
is a call to getaddrinfo although the URL is ftp://192.168.34.132.

Did I miss a setting to control this feature or did I misunderstand the
docs?

The docs I'm referring to are:
http://curl.haxx.se/docs/faq.html
5.9 How does libcurl resolve host names?

Thanks,
Mehmet