RE: IMAP not working reliably on Win32/VS2012

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 21:22:50 +0100

Hi John,

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013, John Dunn wrote:

> > Out of interest what SSL provider were you using? You mention
> > a Visual Studio build of libcurl so I'm guessing either OpenSSL or
> > SSPI (SChannel).
>
> I think I've tried both. The curl.exe I tried was built with OpenSSL
> but my library was built with SChannel so the issue might be
> independent of SSL provider.

I've just tried the same with the addition of an OpenSSL libcurl build.

> I tried our local Exchange server with just imap - I forgot it had
> IMAP enabled. It works perfectly fine but I wasn't able to force it
> to make multiple CURLOPT_WRITEFUNCTION calls. It always came
> in a single call so it seems to work without any issue.

My tests with similar size amount of data (just under 2k) worked as well :(

For example:

* Written 2056 bytes, 0 bytes are left for transfer
< FLAGS (\Seen))
< A004 OK FETCH completed.

However, receiving a message with considerably more data I got:

* 2 FETCH (BODY[] {2621140}
* Found 2621140 bytes to download
* Written 2891 bytes, 2618249 bytes are left for transfer

Just after the fetch and then the message, followed by:

< FLAGS (\Seen))
< A004 OK FETCH completed.

But no data write :(

I think it is safe to safe that it seems to be a problem when data is split
over multiple packets.

As such I'm now debugging ;-)

Kind Regards

Steve