Re: Getting a file on http using CURL into IStream

From: Jeff Pohlmeyer <yetanothergeek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 09:06:19 -0500

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Ali Nikzad wrote:

> I want to read a file with the HTTP protocol using the CURL library and
> write it to an IStream. I found this thread but it recommends using the
> boost library for the stream. Can I get it using just CURL and C++ standard
> library?

Looks like the code on stack overflow is not really the right approach
if you're just doing
regular HTTP. I don't really know what is a "IStream" but libcurl's
write callback will let
you pass in a pointer to whatever data structure or "object" you want to use.

The example at http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/getinmemory.html shows
how to do it with a
user-defined C struct, but you should be able to easily adapt it to
your IStream, something
like this:

#include <curl/curl.h>

static size_t WriteMemoryCallback(void *contents, size_t size, size_t
nmemb, void *userp)
{
  size_t realsize = size * nmemb;
  IStream *stream=(IStream *)userp;
  // Append the "contents" pointer to your IStream here,
  // its length will be size*nmemb
  return realsize;
}

int main(void)
{
  CURL *curl_handle;
  CURLcode res;
  IStream stream;
  curl_global_init(CURL_GLOBAL_ALL);
  curl_handle = curl_easy_init();
  curl_easy_setopt(curl_handle, CURLOPT_URL, "http://www.example.com/");
  curl_easy_setopt(curl_handle, CURLOPT_WRITEFUNCTION, WriteMemoryCallback);
  curl_easy_setopt(curl_handle, CURLOPT_WRITEDATA, (void*)&stream);
  curl_easy_setopt(curl_handle, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, "libcurl-agent/1.0");
  res = curl_easy_perform(curl_handle);
  if(res == CURLE_OK) {
    // You stream should contain the file now.
  } else {
    // Handle the error
  }
  curl_easy_cleanup(curl_handle);