Re: Generally questions about curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 23:11:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013, gfa_at_trainzland.com wrote:

> *| Can you be more specific? What "some examples" are you referring to? **
> *
> http://www.paehl.com/open_source/?CURL_7.30.0
> ... Curl is a command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax,
> supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, GOPHER, TELNET, DICT, FILE and LDAP. Curl
> supports ...
> MANUAL example:
> Get a file from an SSH server using SFTP:
> curl.exe -u username sftp://shell.example.com/etc/issue

That's an example showing how to use the curl command line tool. I fail to see
how that is at all relevant to how you'd use libcurl in a program.

(and I believe the actual quote says "curl", not "curl.exe" as it comes from
the docs/MANUAL file: http://curl.haxx.se/docs/manual.html)

> *| **You can use libcurl but you can't use some specific parts of the API?*
>
> Yes, that it.

Then you need to fix your glue layer, the binding.

The particular libcurl bindings for various languages are usually best done
and maintained by people who are fans and users of the specific environments
for which they are made. I don't know anything about VB or how to make a
binding for it.

> 1) How will I know if some of the functions requires values by-reference or
> by-value ?

You read the docs. And also, the options are within specific ranges when they
accept certain types of arguments, defined in include/curl/curl.h

> 2) Enum: Public Const CURLOPT_READFUNCTION as int = ??

See include/curl/curl.h. It is an enum created with a macro within the header
file:

    CINIT(READFUNCTION, FUNCTIONPOINT, 12),

Which thus equals 20000 + 12 = 20012.