Re: libcurl Reporting Different Version Between Commands

From: Jeff Pohlmeyer <yetanothergeek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 14:07:02 -0500

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Ben Thomas wrote:

> How do I find where the "system" version of curl is stored (Ubuntu
> 12.04 default) and "overwrite" it with the new version (by
> reinstalling curl 7.30 so that everything continues to "look in the
> same place"?
>
> Is it possible?

Not completely clear on what you are trying to do but it seems you want to
run a specific application that's compiled against the latest and greatest
version of libcurl, but it's finding the older system version instead.

Replacing the system's version of a library with something else might cause
major problems; if an installed deb package is expecting the older version
it could break your system. (Not sure about ubuntu but on some distros the
package manager itself depends on libcurl, breaking the package manager
can be something like locking your keys in the car, i.e. you can't fix the
package manager without a working package manager...)

If you install your new version of libcurl somewhere else, you can always
tell your application to look for it there by setting the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment, e.g.
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/new/curl/lib/

 - Jeff