Re: libcurl + c-ares on Android

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 23:02:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013, jonathan.p.richardson_at_nokia.com wrote:

> I've been noticing a bug on a Samsung Galaxy S3 & Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (and
> possibly other devices too) when the bearer switches from wifi to 3G where I
> can no longer connect to a host.
>
> If I undefine USE_ARES (build without c-ares) then this issue is gone, but I
> would like to keep c-ares for performance.

This is probably the boring but known old story about c-ares not noticing when
your /etc/resolv.conf gets updated with a new server so it will remain trying
to use the old one...

In the c-ares project (and probably also here) we've discussed and debated
different ways that c-ares could re-init itself when that happens so that it
would load the new server set, but nobody has yet taken it all the way
through.

See for example the ares_reinit thread from 2011:
http://c-ares.haxx.se/mail/c-ares-archive-2011-02/index.shtml#4