Curl - SQLite and temp files - large dentry cache

From: Rocky Downs <rockydowns_at_outlook.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 20:40:49 -0700

Hi,

I have created an application using libcurl. I have found the application causes large memory consumption with the dentry cache. I think that I have it traced down to temporary files created by SQLite (or support for it?). I found this using a strace of curl when getting a URL, https, there the temp files showed up (/var/tmp/etilqs_ba39i2qaS5wHCB3). This was with 7.24. I was not able to reproduce the problem when using 7.21.

I was not able to find a mention of temporary files created by curl (indirectly it seems) anywhere, so I thought I would ask here. I also was not able to see any link to SQLite in the source code.

The temp files are a concern for me since my application is hosted in AWS on EBS and each disk write costs something. And worse the dentry table seems to get very large filed with links that no longer exist.

Does anyone know why these temporary files are created and if there is anything I can do to avoid this?

Thanks,
Rocky