Re: [bagder/curl] e51b23: getpart.pm: Strip carriage returns to fix Windows ...

From: Marc Hoersken <info_at_marc-hoersken.de>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 23:34:17 +0200

Hi Daniel,

2013/4/6 Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>:
> Do we really need that? The line endings are already carefully tuned to be
> LF or CRLF exactly when they need to. Hm, and then of course there's the
> majority of lines where the line ending doesn't matter at all and they are
> typically LF only since most of us are on *nix.

I think so, yes. I know that the line endings are tuned, usually to
LF, but for some reason curl actually generates output with CRLF for
some tests.
For example testcase 100: curl outputs the FTP servers directory
listing with CRLF, while the testcase definition requires LF.

> Can you pinpoint and elaborate on the exact problem with how the files and
> code works just now, before any line ending changes?

Actually I am not sure if it's a testsuite problem or a curl problem.
Depends on what we want curl to output. If curl should output the
content with OS-specific line endings, the testsuite is not able to
handle that right now. If curl should output with generic line endings
(meaning LF in this case), at least the ftp part of curl is currently
not doing that.

To verify locally, you could revert this change to getpart.pm and do
"runtests.pl -v -d -k -a 100" on Windows.
I am also attaching the files which were generated on my machine while
running this testcase.
You may want to take a look at the file "curl100.out".

I will have to dig deeper into the curl code to find out. Do you know
what type of output is expected from curl?

Thanks for your support.

Best regards,
Marc