Re: Name lookup/DNS resolution mechanism of libcurl

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 00:43:26 +0200

Hi Michael,
On 01.04.2013 23:24, Michael-O wrote:
> Am 2013-04-01 22:52, schrieb Guenter:
>> 1st we need to know if this is also an issue with the default windows
>> resolver; so have you also tested with a non-c-ares build?
>> If it only occures with c-ares then this is only an issue with this lib,
>> but not with libcurl.
>
> How can I know? I have compiled plain vanilla with mingw.
> I presume that Features: AsynchDNS is standard windows resolver. That's
> what Daniel wrote as first reply.
yep; somehow I must have mixed this up with c-ares, sorry about! Was
probably because Gisle wrote about c-ares; but again: I mixed things up!

> I have built now c-ares 1.9.1 with 'mingw32-make -f Makefile.m32' and
> tried to compile curl against it:
>
> 1. Added #define HTTP_ONLY and uncommented #define USE_ARES in
> config-win32.h
> 2. Set LIBCARES_PATH=E:\Downloads\c-ares-1.9.1
> 3. Finally compiled curl with mingw32-make mingw32-winssl-ares
>
> But the linking fails with:
[snip]
> What now?
oh! seems that c-ares is build static only while libcurl tries to link
the dynamic one; I will look into this; probably something wrong with
the makefiles ....

Gün.