Re: "Better pipelining in libcurl 7.30.0"

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:03:14 +0100

On 03/27/2013 09:23 AM, Oscar Koeroo wrote:
> I've scanned the pull request but couldn't directly see/understand what
> will happen if I'm using two different ports for HTTP traffic to the
> same server in the same curl run.
>
> As I understood the implementation, big disclaimer, the pipelining works
> such that you setup the TCP/IP connection once and push multiple
> requests over it. When you do this, the HTTP requests are selected per
> hostname.
>
> Hence my thought: shouldn't this be selected per hostname+port number
> instead?

The connection reuse (and the pipelining) is more specific than just
hostname, so two different sessions on the same server but different
ports should work just fine.

However, the MAX_HOST_CONNECTIONS limit will apply to all connections to
the same host, regardless of port.

This also has the effect that the server_supports_pipeline flag applies
to the host and not the server instance on the host. Room for
improvement, I guess.

Linus