Re: VMS fixes needed to allow building

From: Tom Grace <Thomas.Grace_at_amdocs.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:55:46 +0000

>Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 22:02:45 -0500
>From: "John E. Malmberg" <wb8tyw_at_qsl.net>
>Subject: Re: VMS fixes needed to allow building

>>On 3/12/2013 7:17 PM, Tom Grace wrote:
>> Using "extern int vms_show = 0" also creates
>> a globaldef.

>globaldef is only for use with code intended to be compiled with the
>very obsolete VAXC compiler. It should not be used for anything new or
>current.

Yes your exactly right, I should of said that the use of
extern int vms_show = 0 ; defines a global symbol internally
just like the old-form globaldef . (in addition to the psect ref)
So that the linker will be happy.

So does the form, but it is a "weak" ? globaldef.
int vms_show; /* outside a function*/

so is the recommendation? one "extern int vms_show = 0;"
and multiple "extern int vms_show"