Re: And speaking of data sending bugs...

From: Nathan Rosenblum <flander_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 18:17:35 -0800

> While I was testing the patch I made over the weekend for the curl_darwinssl transmission bug, I found a related issue that I suspect affects all builds of 7.29.0: If a program creates a curl_easy handle, sets CURLOPT_TIMEOUT to some value greater than 0 but less than the amount of time it takes to transfer a file, and then issues an HTTP command that sends data to the server (e.g. PUT, POST, PROPFIND, REPORT, extended MKCOL, etc.), then after the amount of seconds entered in CURLOPT_TIMEOUT elapses and the transfer is not done yet, libcurl reports "Operation timed out after X milliseconds with 0 out of -1 bytes received" where X is the timeout value in milliseconds.

This sounds like expected (and desired) behavior to me. When I set
CURLOPT_TIMEOUT on a handle, I'm led to believe by the the
documentation that an operation that I initiate on that handle will
take at most the value of the timeout. Indeed, the documentation warns
that

    "limiting operations to less than a few minutes risk aborting
perfectly normal operations"

Perhaps I'm missing something?

--nate