SSL handshake problems

From: plot.lost <plot.lost_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 22:01:46 +0000

Can someone advise on what might be the cause of getting a 'SSL
connection timeout' error if I don't provide either the '-3' or '-1'
option to the command line.

Without using one of those two options, then the connection gets as far
as '* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Client hello (1):' and then freezes until
the timeout happens

By adding -3 or -1 to the command line (to force SSLv3 or TLSv1) then
the connection works fine,

* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Server hello (2):
* SSLv3, TLS handshake, CERT (11):
* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Server finished (14):
* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Client key exchange (16):
* SSLv3, TLS change cipher, Client hello (1):
* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* SSLv3, TLS change cipher, Client hello (1):
* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* SSL connection using RC4-MD5

By adding -2 to force SSLv2, the connection fails (as expected)

* SSLv2, Client hello (1):
* Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to x.x.x.x:443

What I am concerned about is that if I don't specify -3 or -1, then the
connection just hangs until the timeout.

This is using curl 7.24.0 with OpenSSL/1.0.1a - I am having problems
building the lastest version (many of the tests fail, so I don't want to
use it until I can get all the tests working). Is this a known problem
or one that someone else may of come across, and am I likely to get the
same results even once I get the latest version built and working?

Thanks for any info on this.