Re: curl 7.28.1/MakefileBuild.vc bug?

From: Gisle Vanem <gvanem_at_broadpark.no>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 18:53:14 +0100

"Pierre Joye" <pierre.php_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> However, I do not think we should allow non thread safe crt usage with
> curl. Not a big matter as recent versions of the VC does not support
> it anymore.
>
> 2003 (7.1) was the last version to support it:

What you mean by "recent versions"? My version is:

  Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 16.00.40219.01 for 80x86

The free version that comes with VCExpress 2010 and Win SDK v7.1a. Plenty
good still. More recent versions costs lot of money, don't they? (and VCExpress
2012 doesn't run on Win-XP).

But I agree that /MT should be avoided (MS recomends that because of
side-by-side runtimes and Windows Update). /MD[d] should be default.

Besides the Watcom toolkit has a cl.exe that emulates most (all?) the cmd-line
switches for MSVC's cl. I haven't tested it, but it could be possible to use
Makefile.vc with free Watcom tools:

wmake -ms -f Makefile.vc (nmake compatibility mode)

--gv