HTTPS upload bug using Darwin SSL

From: Bruno de Carvalho <kindernade_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 00:14:41 +0000

Howdy,

I've recently come across what seems to be a reproducible bug when uploading medium sized files (~1.5MB+) to an HTTPS server, when using libcurl v7.28.1 built with Darwin SSL support.

Somewhere in the darwin SSL "glue" the contents of an upload seem to get corrupted and the request ends up sending more data than it should.

I've done some digging and came up with a report of my findings, along with a tool that allows reproduction of the faulty behavior. I've made a GitHub repo for it at https://github.com/brunodecarvalho/curl-darwinssl-upload-bug -- not sure how you guys feel about it so lemme know if I should take it down and just zip the contents.

Although the test tool makes use of curl CLI, I initially came across this bug while building an HTTP framework for iOS/OSX on top of libcurl; hence posting this to the lib ML.

Cheers,
Bruno

PS: Since this is my first post, I have to send out a heartfelt thank you to everyone involved in building curl; it's been my workhorse for as long as I can remember messing around with the console.