Re: Not able to cross-compile curl for ARM uClinux

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:36:08 +0100

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 02:43:06PM +0100, Bernard Evensrud wrote:
> I am using a Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit computer, trying to compile libcurl.a
> for use in a project with embedded uClinux.
> However, I only get an error message when running .configure with
> arm-elf-gcc. Compiling a native version using GCC is no problem.
> Compiling other small projects with arm-elf-gcc also works very well.

*-elf-gcc compilers are generally not set up to build normally
applications, but rather low-level components like kernels and
bootloaders. Typically, you want to use a compiler that has the OS
and/or libc name in place of elf. But if this compiler works for other
applications, then perhaps that's not the case here.

> This is what happens:
>
> bernard_at_bernard-home ~/curl-7.28.1 $ ./preconfig
> ./configure --disable-shared --disable-ares --disable-cookies
> --disable-crypto-auth --disable-ipv6 --disable-verbose
> --without-libidn --without-zlib --disable-ldap --disable-thread
> --disable-shared --host=arm-elf --build=x86_64 --without-ssl
> --without-libssh2

I would drop the --build option unless you actually need it.

> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
> checking whether to enable debug build options... no
> checking whether to enable compiler optimizer... (assumed) yes
> checking whether to enable strict compiler warnings... no
> checking whether to enable compiler warnings as errors... no
> checking whether to enable curl debug memory tracking... no
> checking whether to enable hiding of library internal symbols... yes
> checking whether to enable c-ares for DNS lookups... no
> checking for sed... /bin/sed
> checking for grep... /bin/grep
> checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking for arm-elf-strip... arm-elf-strip
> checking curl version... 7.28.1
> checking build system type... x86_64-pc-none
> checking host system type... arm-unknown-elf
> checking for arm-elf-gcc... /usr/local/bin/arm-elf-gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name...
> configure: error: in `/home/bernard/curl-7.28.1':
> See `config.log' for more details.

Did you see `config.log' for more details?

>>> Dan