Re: Issues building with ZLIB and c-ares, Mingw on Win8 x64

From: Jesse Nicholson <ascensionsystems_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 07:43:05 -0500

Yeah thanks it actually had to do with c-ares not building right. According
to the config script, by default it should be configured to output shared
and static libs but that's simply not the case. By default it was only
putting out static I had to explicitly set shared to enabled. The config
script lied to me! This threw me off... Thanks for the help.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 December 2012 00:35, Jesse Nicholson <ascensionsystems_at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > So I've been trying since yesterday to get curl to build with c-ares and
> > zlib support... and since I'm about ready to bash my head off the desk
> till
> > I pass out... I figured hey! why not ask the good folks on the mailing
> list
> > before incurring self inflicted injury!
> >
> > Anyway so I downloaded latest release c-ares, zlib and curl... compiled
> > c-ares successfully (although I can only get it to spit out a static
> lib),
> > zlib compiled without issue, then on to curl. Curl will compile the
> static
> > lib without issue, but as soon as it goes to link together libcurl.dll, I
> > get a ton of undefined references to c-ares functions. (note that the
> linker
> > doesn't complain about not finding -lcares) Example:
> >
> > "D:\cppsourceandlibs\curl-7.28.1\lib/version.c:312: undefined referenec
> > `_imp__ares_version`
> >
> > Etc. I'm using the Makefile.m32 under CURL_DIR/lib to compile, exact
> command
> > is:
> >
> > "mingw32-make -f Makefile.m32 CFG=-zlib-ares
>
> See if this helps:
>
> http://curl.haxx.se/docs/faq.html#Link_errors_when_building_libcur
>
> > If anyone can provide ANY insight into what I'm doing wrong or even
> better
> > how to do it right, I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks,
>
> I'm not sure, but it might help to get cares building as a DLL first.
>
> --
> Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>

Jesse Nicholson