RE: SMTP functionality with authentication fails!

From: Chandran, Naveen <naveen.chandran_at_hp.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 19:15:30 +0000

Hi Daniel, Steve,

> ... and you're _sure_ you don't happen to have two separate installations? It not finding smtps as a supported protocol is very suspicious and strange if you indeed do have it supported.
Firstly, thanks. This was indeed my first clue and I should have suspected it right there.
For one, yes, I did have local (separate) installations which I (with the intent of not mixing things up) used for the test snippets (so... in trying to isolate things I ended up mixing them anyway!!)
Taking the simpler route and installing the binaries (and everything else) to their standard installation paths removed ambiguities (averting further agony). It works now!!

> Can you set a break-point in smtp_state_ehlo_resp() and figure out what's happening? As you can see there, it is supposed to send STARTTLS there if you've asked for it and it isn't already in use.
IMHO, this may not be required now (but I do see that it does issue the STARTTLS anyway).

To summarize, the minimal working combination boiled down to just these (at least for mine):
CURLOPT_PROXY, CURLOPT_HTTPPROXYTUNNEL ---- if proxies are used.
CURLOPT_USE_SSL (value: CURLUSESSL_ALL)
CURLOPT_URL (smtp://<server>:587), CURLOPT_USERNAME, CURLOPT_PASSWORD
+ the usual SMTP specific mail-related curl options

Appreciate your time and continued patience on this. Thanks again.

Regards,
Naveen