Unique issue showing up as DNS resolution issue

From: Laliberte, Christian <claliberte_at_ptc.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 18:53:34 +0000

Hi,

I work on a little HTTP client module and have been using libCurl both on Mac & PC for a few years. Recently a customer has reported an issue. The requests stopped working after some time. It occurs intermittently and restarting the application or rebooting the machine isn't solving it. It was also reported as isolated to a few production machines. Their IT was unable to reproduce on other machines.

The logsthey sent back contained the following:
init_resolve_thread() failed for flexplm.dcsg.com; Not enough space
getaddrinfo() failed for flexplm.dcsg.com:80; Not enough space
Couldn't resolve host 'flexplm.dcsg.com'
Closing connection #0

I decided to send them a debug version that used a new build of libCurl but with multithreading disabled, so I commented USE_THREADS_WIN32.
The customer came back saying the issue wasn't resolved. The new logs contained the following:
Curl_ipv4_resolve_r failed for flexplm.dcsg.com
Couldn't resolve host 'flexplm.dcsg.com'

After some more searching, I found that the library isn't reporting any error code coming from getaddrinfo(). I modified the code to allow it to log the error and asked the customer to run it. The error that came back was 0x276D or WSANOTINITIALISED. This is weird because the logs tell me the issue occurs after a few successful requests.

I told them to try a "netsh winsock reset" command. They said it worked on the first attempt, then the issue came back and all other reset attempts failed.

At this point, I suspect the issue is not with my module or with the libCurl. I think those errors are very unusual but my online searches didn't return anything conclusive (or recent) on possible causes, other than malware.

Any thoughts or leads where to look next?
Thanks in advance

Christian Laliberte