RE: testing for connectivity to the SMTP server using libcurl APIs

From: SM <sm_at_resistor.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 13:24:40 -0800

Hi Steve,
At 12:01 22-11-2012, Steve Holme wrote:
> > The "clean" way would be to:
> >
> > 1. send HELO
> > 2. read
> > 3. send FROM
> > 4. read
> > 5. send QUIT
> > 6. read
>
>Just a quick clarification - Did you mean MAIL FROM: in step 3 and is this
>step mandatory as all other steps are performed by libcurl?

Yes, step 3 should be the MAIL FROM. I left out the AUTH as it was
quick steps without any mentions of the caveats.

If the objective is to test connectivity to the SMTP server, I would
do step 1 (replacing HELO with EHLO) and step 2 and let the cleanup
code handle the QUIT [1]. Step 3 is to initiate a SMTP
transaction. It's not mandatory. I mentioned it as the person
mentioned using it.

Regards,
-sm

1. http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2012-11/0200.html