Re: libcurl - runtime dll error on 32bit but not 64bit

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:23:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, Andy Hallam wrote:

> I have posted the below on stackoverflow under the libcurl tag -

First out, stackoverflow is not the optimal place to discuss problems. It is
made for straight-forward questions that have an (easy and single) answer. I
don't think this is such a question.

> I have used the suggested curl library
> (http://curl.haxx.se/download/libcurl-7.19.3-win32-ssl-msvc.zip)

I don't think that download or version is suggested by anyone involved in this
project anymore.

I'm not at all a Windows developer (nor particularly educated in the Windows
architecture) and quite possibly you won't really like what I am about to say,
but from many years of reading people's windows related problems on this list
I can tell that basically everyone who tries to download a pre-built lib/dll
and just crams that into his/her project will suffer from problems sooner or
later due to the way you do things in Windows. Especially when you mix
dlls/libs from difference sources and builds.

The way to success and smiling faces in your project on Windows seems to be to
build libcurl (and its dependencies) yourself from source, using the compiler
switches you know and want and can control.